Ethics Advisory Board
We believe journalistic ethics and medical research do go hand-in-glove.
In today’s ‘fake news’ world, journalists must go the extra mile to protect patients from misleading information and focus on innovative therapies that will save lives and reduce overall health costs. The highest priority for health publishers is protecting patients who might be negatively impacted by misleading news.
Which means ‘do no harm.’
In 1999, several eHealth 1.0 leaders gathered in New York City to define news publishing standards for the digital ecosystem. Most of those publishing standards remain effective today. But unfortunately, many media reports overemphasize potential benefits, ignore apparent shortcomings, and do not present cost issues.
In 2022, various news organizations deployed AI-content creating technologies. While these innovative solutions offer operational efficiencies, we believe AI-edited health news requires clear disclosures to empower patient trust.
Furthermore, we support these industry-leading non-profit health news publishing criteria:
- Authoritative: is the source from qualified authors
- Complementarity: all published information should enhance, not replace, the doctor/nurse/pharmacist relationship with patients
- Attribution: citations identify the source(s) of the relevant research
- Transparency: the independence from bias shall at all times be preserved
- Financial disclosure: related funding source and researcher relationship must be communicated appropriately
Advisory Board Leadership Team:
Don Ward Hackett, Publisher, and Dr. Robert Carlson, Clinical Editor, have been publishing health news and vaccine information for 12 years. Holly Luttmer, PharmD, joined the leadership team in 2021. In addition, un-compensated advisory board members share industry insights and have direct subject matter knowledge focused on the vaccine delivery industry.
- Chris Felton, PharmD., Health Services Pharmacist, Brookshire Grocery Company
Crockett Tidwell RPh, CDE, Clinical Services Manager at United Supermarkets Pharmacy
Clinical Pharmacist Fact-Checkers: